Monday, April 27, 2009

Formal dress for niece

I've always sewn for my little nieces and last night one of my older nieces asked me to sew her Year 10 formal dress, is she really 15 already!!! Her initial design thoughts are a knee length one shoulder dress in silk. I've been searching the net for ideas/patterns and fell in love with this gorgeous evening dress from Vogue. The all in one flounce and gathered shoulder strip are divine. Even the shorter length dress looks lovely.

Unfortunately I am trying to avoid making a fitted boned bodice which is required for this dress.


Well, I continued searching and found an easier design, also at Vogue, which includes silk in the list of recommended fabrics. I like the flared hem and I hope that having the princess seams will help resolve any fitting issues. This design looks younger and more appropriate for her age :-).

Both of these patterns are out of print so I may have to order direct from Vogue if they have the right size in the warehouse. Please leave me one if you rush out to buy the pattern ;-)!

Oh, just one more outstanding design to share from Smitten By Me, absolutely beautiful shoulder strap and fabric!

Any other pattern suggestions would be most welcome :-)

1 comment:

  1. I usually stick with Simplicity, as they are easier to follow, but the Vogue patterns are beautiful!
    Good luck with it all!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete