Sunday, August 23, 2009

Jeans Back Patch Pocket Tutorial

There was a question on my favourite sewing list about sewing on patch pockets. I'm making jeans for DD(16) at the moment and thought I'd take pictures and share my technique along the way. This is for a standard 5 straight sided jeans pocket as shown below.

Overlock the top raw edge of the pocket



Check the pattern for the placement of the fold line at the top of the pocket. Here the fold is 2.5 cm from the raw edge.

Fold the top edge of the pocket down 2.5 cm with right sides together.


Sew down the folded section at each side along the seam allowance (here I'm using 1cm)


and the other side (I like to see where the folded piece finishes)


Progress so far ...


Trim the threads and a little of the folded edge inside the seam allowance, just a little diagonal cut.


Turn the right way out and press, making sure the top corners are sharp and the centre of the fold is 2.5cm deep.


Using a long stitch mark the seam allowances around the edge of the pocket. I just sew 4 straight lines, so I don't have to worry about turning corners accurately with a long basting stitch.


Use these lines as a guide while pressing the seam allowances under



I like to stitch along the top hem at the edge of the overlock stitches, here I can see it is at the 2cm mark on my machine. Don't stitch yet!



Turn the pocket over so that the right side is facing up. I've changed the top thread to a contrasting orange for top stitching. I lengthen the stitch slightly from 2.5 to 3 on my machine. Sew a line 2cm from the top.



Here's the pocket ready to sew on to the back of the jeans.

I'll post more pictures next sewing/computer session
Happy to answer any questions :-).

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done..thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LInda,
    couldn't find your email, how are you going?
    cheers
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there stranger....its been a while since you did a post? Hope all is okay....hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome!! Thanks! This is just what i have been looking for, for the past 30 mins! :) Best wishes From Lisa

    ReplyDelete